Thursday, August 19, 2010

Satire: Public Relations and the Church

Buddy Christ
Or, Which Jesus Saved Your Soul?

Christianity Today has a funny article, "How to Become a Successful Religion" by Mark Galli. It is a hoot.

It always use to crack me up when people would learn my last name, "Sell." If I had a buck for every time someone would then say, "You're a good salesman." The other comment was, "You've got a good product to sell."  Of course, the comments were always well meaning and said with good intentions. No offense taken.


To: James, President of the Jerusalem Council
Re: Initial Impressions

Shalom Marketing Ltd. was recently contacted by a member of your council, asking us to tell you about our services. He said to make it clear that he was footing the bill for this initial evaluation, with the hopes that our sound advice will encourage the council to hire us to guide your marketing efforts for the next strategic stage in your movement's life.
Oh that Peter. This one really cracked me up.
The other uncomfortable note was when Peter added insult to injury, blaming the crowd for killing your founder: "This Jesus … you crucified." And then he implies that the crowd is full of "lawless men." And if they didn't get the point, he drove home this indelicate point at the end of the sermon: "Let all the house of Israel [now equated with lawlessness] therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."

We understand that Peter would have likely still been grieving over the death of the founder, but insulting your audience is not the way to win friends to the movement. :-)
What's great about being Lutheran is that we can take any gift of creation (reason) and use it to serve the Word of God, but not over rule it. Marketing and Public Relations are a great thing when they serve the Word of God. However, this article is making a point about when these tools tell us to change the message because of the "target audience."

To keep Law and Gospel distinct and to understand their purpose is the only way to unlock the meaning of God's Word. The church's primary use of the law of God is to condemn sin in our lives. Or as we all learned in confirmation - SOS - show us our sin. Only when we know our sin, then does the the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ do us any good. Christ took our place to pay for my sin on the cross. I guess Peter was right, you and I crucified Jesus.

When we don't do that, we only confuse people into thinking they are keeping God's law and only need forgiveness for the big mistakes in life. Or, we confuse people into thinking that everyone is forgiven so  "eat, drink, and be merry" and loving God and our neighbor is only if you have time.

God calls us to be faithful to Him and practice the Word and Sacramental Life faithfully, not try to "help" God's Word or the sacraments as if we know the target audience better.

Enjoy the article.

Pastor Sell

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Sell,
    Interesting to see this post today. When I started to read the article I began to wonder, "is this for real, a marketing company really did this?" About half way through I realized it wasn't. I did get a chuckle in here and there! I just had a conversation with a fellow church member over coffee this past week. We were discussing church and the different styles of delivering a sermon. We talked about what gets someone to come to church and what it is that gets them to come back for more? During our convversation we spoke of the different services 5pm Saturday, 8am Sunday and 10:45 connection service and how they differ. My friend brought up, "when we market our church..." I was thrilled to stop her right in those tracks! "Marketing our church?" I said. Marketing our church, to me, is like having a "gimmick" to get them in our doors! Would we not be pulling that little thing called "bait and switch?" Why would anyone make Christ's crucifixion "look good" for the masses anyway? How does one take a cruel and gruesome act and make it pretty? Marketing often makes the product look really fun and entertaining. Are we at chruch to be entertained? I am not there for entertainment value. If I get a chuckle out of a sermon then it's a little bonus for me but, truly, I go to church for the forgiveness of my sins. The hard truth...SIN...I AM SINFUL...I SIN Daily. I am not there for a beauty contest (although I like to look nice) or to hear the latest gossip. I am there for the forgiveness of my sins...plain and simple.
    This article gave me a sense of being right! Which, in a sense, would that be wrong? Very ironic!
    God's Blessings,
    Suzie Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzie,

    Sorry to mislead you at first. But you got it!

    prsell

    ReplyDelete